every plant has a name

6.30.2013


My green thumb and thirst for the homegrown has really taken off this summer. For years I've been pining to fill a house with plants, and now moving into a place with enough natural light, it's finally becoming a reality. In addition to our succulent and house plant friends, I've been potting these little terracotta pots with herbs all around the house. I decided I'd need a way to remember what I started where, so it led to a simple but cute chalk paint DIY. Since I'm a new gardener, I love that it's a low commitment form of labeling. If something dies, or if I decide to seed a different plant next year, I can always erase the chalk and write something new. It's extremely easy to do, and in no way a novel idea, but I thought the end effect was very homey, practical, and cute. Follow along to see how you can do the chalk paint labeling yourself. 

What You'll Need:
- chalkboard paint
- terracotta planter
- blue painter's tape
- paint brush
- paint dish

Directions:
1. Rip your tape in half length-wise.

2. Section off a parallelogram shape (wider at the top, narrower at the bottom) on your planter.

3. Paint two, even coats of paint within the taped off section, waiting about 10 minutes in between coats.

4. Let the paint dry for about an hour, and then remove tape, plant, & label.

And you're done!!

1 comment :

  1. Props for the post title being a quote from Pocahontas. Yeah, I noticed immediately. Also, you're totally a Pocahontas.

    <3 dani

    ReplyDelete