diy healthy hair rinse

11.07.2014

Note: This post was previously published here as a part of my freelance work.
After visiting the Officina Profumo Farmeceutica di Santa Maria Novella in Florence, I discovered hair rinses and became very intrigued to try some of my own. I did a little research and got to experimenting. 

The base for every rinse is vinegar. It helps to remove buildup and smooths out breakaways. Each hair cuticle is essentially constructed like little shingles piled on top of one other; the vinegar helps to smooth the “shingles” down and keeps them pulled in close together. 

From there, you can mix in whatever herbs you’d like. I found that my favorite way to make a rinse was with essential oil because it has such a concentrated amount of the nutrients and the most potent smell. Certain ones are more beneficial for hair than others. Below is a rundown of the best to choose from, so you can throw together a combo that seems most fit for you. Myself, I ended up making a rosemary lemon grass combo, and I love it. 

After using the rinse a few times, I did notice a difference in shininess and overall health. So, here you go, here’s how to make your own!
The Herbs:
Rosemary: Good for dark hair. It helps with oily locks, dandruff, and will stimulate growth.
Sage: Good for dark hair and reversing grays. Sage will also help with dandruff.
Chamomile: Chamomile is good for light colored hair, and it will bring out highlights.
Calendula: Helps condition damaged hair.
Basil: Good for oily hair & stimulates growth
Lemon Grass: Good for oily hair.
What You Need:
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
10 Drops One Essential Oil
10 Drops Second Essential Oil
Glass Container

Directions:
1. Combine ingredients in a glass container, and let sit for at least one day.
2. When you’re ready to use, take 1/2 tbsp of the rinse, and mix it into 1 cup water.
3. Shampoo your hair, and then pour the rinse through, so it touches as many strands as possible.
4. You can either rinse out with some water afterward, or leave the rinse in. It is up to you. I always left mine in.

6 comments :

  1. I've been hearing so much about vinegar rinses lately, whether you are on the "no 'poo" method or not... I really need to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seriously interested in vinegar instead of conditioner lately... especially since the pipes here are so much smaller in America and conditioner blocks the drain with residue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips !
    I really like your blouse tho, where did you buy it?
    Thank you ;)

    http://wild-child.fr/en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually my friend Jana. The blouse is from Free People. :)

      Delete
  4. Nice blog! Thanks for sharing this blog!How make it could u give me some suggestion actually i also want to create a new blog but have no any basic idea.Thanks.
    short hair
    black salon
    Blowouts
    smoothing treatments
    deep conditioning treatments

    ReplyDelete